The History Behind This Scholarship
Genie was involved at OSLC as the organist, pianist, senior and youth choir director, special program director and was a highly valued member of the OSLC staff.
Genie played and sang weekly at both the early traditional service as well as the late contemporary service. She also was involved in costume creation, writing, producing, and executing church seasonal programs.
Genie’s love for God and music was part of her character. OSLC has established a special music scholarship to be awarded annually as funds allow, in honor and in humble memory of her lifelong faithful service to God, her church, and her community.
In the memory of and in honor of Genie Fuhrman, a member of Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church for 39 years
(March 1982-March 2020)
- Applicant must be working toward a degree in a college, university or technical school which is fully accredited and must be majoring or minoring in vocal or instrumental music.
- Applicant must have established and maintain a satisfactory academic grade of 80 or 3.0 GPA.
- Scholarships are not automatically renewed for succeeding school years. Current recipients must submit a new application to be eligible for consideration for renewal.
- Applications for scholarships must be completed and all required materials must be submitted by May 1 for the upcoming school year.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED:
- Completed application.
- Letter of acceptance from the institution of higher learning that applicant will be attending
- Two letters of recommendation (one personal, one professional); letters cannot be from family.
- Copy of most recent grades.
- Typed essay that is consistent with the assigned topic (see page 2 of application)
PROCEDURE FOR REQUESTING AND ADMINISTERING SCHOLARSHIPS
- Upon completion, the application packet is to be submitted to the Scholarship Committee by May 1.
- All qualifying applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Committee. The committee reserves the right to interview each qualified applicant before the initial scholarship is awarded and may require future interviews at the committee’s discretion.
- The Scholarship Committee may award as many or as few scholarships as is deemed appropriate in a school year and as funds permit.
- The Scholarship Committee will base their decisions on all or some of the following:
- Involvement in community organizations and activities
- Potential that the applicant demonstrates in pursuing his/her musical field of study
- Academic performance
- The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to withhold scholarships if no applicants are deemed to meet the qualifications.
- The names of the scholarship recipient(s) will be announced in a timely manner after the application deadline.
- After the application is approved by the Scholarship Committee, scholarship funds will be sent to the designated institution and credited to the student’s account. The applicant will be informed of this action, and committee will verify that the institution receives the funds.
- THE COMMITTEE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE AND AMEND ALL RULES AND GUIDELINES AT ANY TIME WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.